[Yum-devel] enable yum to pass http data to repository

Bryan Mills bryan at mills1.net
Thu Nov 10 00:16:03 UTC 2005

David Lutterkort wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 18:13 -0500, Bryan Mills wrote:
>

>>This is a patch to enable yum to pass http data to the yum repository.
>>Thanks to the recent changes in urlgrabber this is easy.
>>
>>My need was to enable secure access to a local yum repository.
>>

>If I understand your patch right, the http_data is used to send request
>parameters to the server; how about changing it so that you can provide
>a base url with request parameters, i.e., make it so that yum
>understands a URL of the form
>http://server.example.com/path?login=bryan&password=passwd

The question in this case would be should I do a POST or GET?  I think
both syntax should be available so maybe the scheme you suggest would be
GET and I would rename my extra config parameter to http_post_data or
something like that.

>The sticky part is to make sure that yum properly appends a relative
>portion to the base url (e.g., in Repository.get), i.e. that the
>relative part gets put into the base URL before the params.

urlparse.urlsplit can do that for us.  Then just feed everything but the
query and fragment in as the base url.

If we implement this method as a GET then the tricky part will be
appending the query and fragment pieces onto the end of each request url.

>That way, there's no need to introduce a new config param, and you can
>use these types of URLs in mirrorlists, too.

Agreed.

>>A similar thing should be done to enable http authentication but that
>>involves a bit more work.
>>

>That seems to work already if you specify the URL as
>  http://user:passwd@server.example.com/path

Duh, forgot that urlgrabber already supported that.

-bryan