[Yum-devel] enable yum to pass http data to repository

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Wed Nov 9 23:44:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 18:13 -0500, Bryan Mills wrote:
> This is a patch to enable yum to pass http data to the yum repository.
> Thanks to the recent changes in urlgrabber this is easy.
>
> My need was to enable secure access to a local yum repository.

If I understand your patch right, the http_data is used to send request
parameters to the server; how about changing it so that you can provide
a base url with request parameters, i.e., make it so that yum
understands a URL of the form
http://server.example.com/path?login=bryan&password=passwd

The sticky part is to make sure that yum properly appends a relative
portion to the base url (e.g., in Repository.get), i.e. that the
relative part gets put into the base URL before the params.

That way, there's no need to introduce a new config param, and you can
use these types of URLs in mirrorlists, too.

> A similar thing should be done to enable http authentication but that
> involves a bit more work.

That seems to work already if you specify the URL as
  http://user:passwd@server.example.com/path

David