[Yum-devel] fun plugin for testing

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Mon Nov 7 06:45:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 22:22 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> I whipped up a quick plugin this evening to help cut down on the
> bazillion installed kernels problem.  The answer is basically to keep
> around (by default) the current running kernel and the new one you're
> installing.[1]  I want to look at using this by default with the Fedora
> yum config because one of our current large problems is that people end
> up with 10 kernels installed and can't remove them.  And making them do
> it by hand (especially as we move to pup) is silly.
>
> You'll need to ensure that you have a 'plugins=1' line in /etc/yum.conf
> and create /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/n-installonly.conf with
>   [main]
>   enabled=1
>
> Then, grab http://people.redhat.com/~katzj/n-installonly.py (also
> attached but the website version will be the "newest" if I fix anything)
> and drop it into /usr/lib/yum-plugins.  Update away and you should see
> the right thing happen.
>
> It seems to work okay in my, admittedly limited, testing.  Further
> feedback appreciated, otherwise, I'll probably drop it in for the
> rawhide world at large the beginning of next week.
>
> Jeremy

I like it.  It seems to be working fine thus far without any issues.  I
went ahead and added it to the YumPlugins[0] wiki page as well.

luke

(p.s. I still like my idea about a yum plugin that spins custom kernels
automatically based on a predefined config.  Although, it's probably
just the old gentoo dev inside of me talking -- or the lack of sleep)

[0]: http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumPlugins