[Yum-devel] yum-src people

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun May 29 22:31:11 UTC 2005

> How about letting 'yum install' take a filename as an argument.  Lets
> say I have foo-1.0-1.noarch.rpm (that I either built myself or
> downloaded.. doesn't matter), and I want to install it and all its deps.
> I should be able to do 'yum install /path/to/foo-1.0-1.noarch.rpm' and
> have yum try to use the configured repos to resolve the deps, and if
> they're resolvable, install the rpm off the local filesystem.

yum does this now. No problem.

> Likewise, if you had a .src.rpm you wanted to install and build, you
> could do 'yum install foo-1.0-1.src.rpm' and have it download and
> install all of the buildreqs, then install the src rpm into my %_topdir.

in _your_ topdir? No, it would be root's topdir b/c in order to install
things you need to be root. so installing a srpm from yum would be kinda
silly, b/c in the most correct case people shouldn't be building srpms
as root :)

> This is a little convoluted though, and doesn't solve the whole problem.
>   Sometimes you know a script needs /usr/bin/somecommand, and you don't
> know what package its in.  One thought would be to do 'yum install --dep
> /usr/bin/somecommand', although that can be a little confusing.

again - yum can do this now:

yum install /path/to/some/stuff

it works, I swear :)