[Yum-devel] yum-src people

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun May 29 06:30:32 UTC 2005

> I'm kinda starting to think this should go into yum itself, since
> we're really talking about installing packages by dependencies which is
> pretty much what yum is all about and we'll want to reuse the cli-stuff
> (signature checking, prompting etc) when installing build-deps as well.

You might be right. I'm still a bit wishy-washy about where it should
go.

Here's the crux of my problem:
 What's a nice way of describing and having on the command line the
function that does: install-all-the-deps-for-some-package.

What would the command be named? install-deps?

That's what's plaguing me is that it could be very confusing to new
users: "Do I need to just run install or do I have to install-deps to
get the dependencies" etc, etc.

see where I'm going with this? We're running into the problem of the
not-so-advanced user and needing to describe advanced concepts - this is
why I've been thinking of it being outside of yum.

right now we have:
 yum [options] < update | install | info | remove | list |
    clean | provides | search | check-update | groupinstall |
    groupupdate | grouplist | groupinfo | groupremove |
    makecache | localinstall | erase | upgrade | whatprovides |
    localupdate | resolvedep | shell | deplist >

if I had my options I would probably lose:
 localupdate, localinstall, whatprovides, resolvedep, deplist,
check-update and makecache

from the command set just to make it easier to deal with for new folks
and put those into an advanced-mode-script for yum users who know what
they're looking for.

I guess that's something to think about.
thoughts?