[Yum-devel] Repository management

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu May 5 10:06:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 02:45 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Again, Sorry for the long delay.
>
> > Ah, so it's possible to do:
> >
> > include=http://my-central-server.geewiz.com/yum/repo-generator.cgi
>
> yes. You can thank Ryan and Michael for that. I just fixed a couple of
> minor things in that code, they did all the heavy lifting.

Hey, that's neat :)

> > and have it executed each time the URL is hit?  Slick.  Know if anyone
> > has done anything interesting with this?  Does yum pass up any
> > interesting headers like redhat-release version or some kind of system
> > identifier?
>
> it passes up the most interesting header of all - the machine ip
> address. :). But no, it doesn't pass up any other headers b/c at the
> point that's running it doesn't know anything about its surroundings.

Hmm. IP-addresses change... wouldn't it be more useful to pass up MAC
addresses (in addition, perhaps)? Anaconda can do that if you pass it
"kssendmac" option:
"Adds HTTP headers to ks=http:// request that can be helpful for
provisioning systems.  Includes MAC address of all nics in a CGI
environment variable of the form HTTP_X_RHN_PROVISIONING_0,
HTTP_X_RHN_PROVISIONING_1, etc, for all nics."
...and I can certainly see some potential here for doing some
interesting things.

If that doesn't sound reasonable, perhaps a plugin slot (please don't
shoot me :) that allows adding custom headers like the MAC address?

	- Panu -