[Yum-devel] Plugins Status

Menno Smits menno-yum at freshfoo.com
Sun Mar 27 12:05:24 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've made a lot of progress with plugins this weekend and I'm happy
enough to let it go into FC4t2 if everyone else is.

My last set of changes today cleaned up a lot of issues. The biggest
user visibile thing is that /etc/yum/plugins.conf is no longer required.
The two options from this file are now part of yum.conf in [main]. They
now are:
    plugins (boolean) - global on/off switch for plugins
    pluginpath (string list) - as for "searchpath" in plugins.conf

At the moment I've got the "plugins" setting defaulting to "off". What
does everyone think the default should be?

I'm wondering if the global default should be "on" with plugins
themselves shipping with "enabled" in their own /etc/yum/pluginconf.d
config file set to "off". This way the admin has to explicitly enable a
plugin after its installed which seems like the safest thing to do from
a security standpoint. Thoughts?

Find attached updated protectbase and test plugins to match changes so
far. Can anyone verify that the way I've done protectbase is correct?

Documentation and an expanded API to come...

Regards,
Menno