[Yum-devel] RHN Support or Plugin Foo

Jack Neely jjneely at pams.ncsu.edu
Sat Mar 26 20:48:07 UTC 2005

Seth,

I took Friday off from work (as being a state employee I'm supposed to
be too diverse to take off relegious holidays) to get my coding fix in
among other things.

I've looked at patching up Yum to integrate in RHN support.  I need
another config option for the repos to indicate what type of repo and at
least to subclass Repository, YumPackageSack, and YumPackageObject.

Problems that I'm having is that the way Yum is written right now I
can't build on top of the existing caching stuff.  (sqlite)  I would
have to force the whole thing back to non-sqlite caching if you have an
RHN repo.  Also, all the PackageSack and PackageObject classes are
instantiated before we know anything about the repos.

So, let's take a step back here.  Folks are working on this idea of
plugins.  Why can't we create a way to plug in alternate kinds of
repositories?  The idea being that each of these plugins could provide a
PackageObject and PackageSack class with a specifc API and let Yum
itself combine them into a large PackageSack object.

Thoughts?

Jack
--
Jack Neely <slack at quackmaster.net>
Realm Linux Administration and Development