[Yum-devel] yum-src people

Inertia technoyippie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 02:52:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 20:00 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> I'm curios - why are we subclassing rpmbuild (implicitly) inside
> yum-src? Why not just have yum-src download/install the srpm you're

I thought the original intent was to build a more full-featured tool
(like a repository-aware rpmbuild).  I think this is due to me
misunderstanding the tool's requirements (see below).

> no. This tool should not be for maintaining pristine build environments.
> If someone is that picky they should use mach or something like it.

So what you are proposing, then, is that 'yum-src' simply downloads the
srpm and optionally installs buildrequires (if you are root)?  If that's
the case, then perhaps we don't really need a separate tool at all:  we
could do 'yum buildreq foo' and/or 'yum install foo.src'?  Anything more
complex would be done via a mach/yum combination.  Am I understanding
this correctly?

> also - if there is a conflict I think yum-src should do the same thing
> yum does - tell the user where it exists and let them deal with it.

Good; I agree here.  Better to just error with an explanation and let
the user decide how to resolve it.

> > * Finally, I'd like to see something for handling when srpms need other
> > srpms.  For instance, wpa_supplicant uses the madwifi source code.  If
> > we could specify a "SourceBuildRequires: madwifi" (or something similar)
> > then that could be satisfied as well.  Not sure how much of a pain in
> > the ass it would be to add a new tag to rpm.  Perhaps there is another
> > way?
> >
> > Again, just brainstorming here; feel free to tell me I'm insane for
> > requesting feature X.
>
> You're insane.:) Adding tags to rpm is a non-starter.

Fair enough. :)  I honestly didn't expect this to fly; more wishful
thinking on my part.

-inertia