[Yum-devel] yum-src people

Inertia technoyippie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 00:37:43 UTC 2005

Heh; this is almost exactly what I came up with.  I was getting ready to
write an email asking why there isn't a yum-src tool already considering
it's that easy.

The only other thing I would add to yum-src is perhaps adding support
for most options that are supported with rpmbuild.  For instance "--
with" and "--without" options, which would be passed through to
rpmbuild, of course.  Perhaps --target as well?  In fact, it might be
easy to just say that any options given that are not specifically
recognzied by yum-src are passed on to rpmbuild (rather than erroring
within yum-src).  Just brainstorming here.

I would make a clear distinction between "installing the src.rpm",
"building the src.rpm", and "installing the buildrequires for the
src.rpm".

Also, we need to clarify how to handle the following situations:

* First, the case where the user specifies multiple source package names
on the command line:  do you handle each one individually or as a group?
In the latter case, you will have to deal with the situation where:
    * the user requests packages p1 and p2
    * p1 has BuildRequires: foo < 4
    * p2 has BuildRequires: foo >= 4

* Second, the case where one BuildRequires conflicts with some stuff
that is currently installed.  Using the above example, if p2 is handled
first, then when p1 is handled, will the system downgrade package foo to
a version < 4?  Perhaps a "--allowdowngrade" option is needed (and a "--
allowerase" for handling "BuildConflicts", if there is such a thing).

* Finally, I'd like to see something for handling when srpms need other
srpms.  For instance, wpa_supplicant uses the madwifi source code.  If
we could specify a "SourceBuildRequires: madwifi" (or something similar)
then that could be satisfied as well.  Not sure how much of a pain in
the ass it would be to add a new tag to rpm.  Perhaps there is another
way?

Again, just brainstorming here; feel free to tell me I'm insane for
requesting feature X.

-Inertia