[Yum-devel] obsolete out of unresolveable dep

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Mar 11 09:14:13 UTC 2005

I added in a couple of routines to make yum attempt to obsolete a
requiring package to get out of a dep problem.

The code I added, esp dealing with obsoletes lookups points out a couple
of problems in the way things are laid out. Specifically that it's
hard/slow/dumb to look up what obsoletes a package. It's easy to look up
what a package obsoletes but not the other direction.

I have to do some work on the rpmUtils.updates class anyway, this just
points out a few places where I can make the code much much easier to
deal with. I'd like to figure out other places where we can reduce
duplicated/useless code by rearranging some structures.

Places I can think of:
   - all the pkgtup<-->packageObject translation we do.
   - going back and forth from obsoletes/obsoleted
   - some of the juggling look ups in cli.py in install and update - a
lot of those need to be moved out to the yum module.

Thoughts?