[Yum-devel] Re: [Yum] yum-updateonboot

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Thu Mar 10 14:32:05 UTC 2005

Moving this to yum-devel as the conversation is drifting that way

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 07:49:30AM -0500, Sean Dilda wrote:
>
>>Ok.  I have some ideas about integrating it with the current yum init
>>script and cron job that I'd like to run by you.
>

> We should talk. I want to do similar things.

Originally I was thinking it'd be nice to have a single yum init script,
for enabling the cron job and doing an update on boot.  You could then
have a file in /etc/sysconfig to specify what you actually want done.
It sounds great for an admin with a bunch of identical machines
configured through kickstart.  However, when you have the desktop users
coming along asking 'How do I enable/disable' the yum cronjobs, the list
of steps required is suddenly more complicated.  However, if you keep
two init scripts, you have to figure out the best way to name them to be
clear on what they do.  I'm still not sure what the best way would be.

As for the cron job itself.. for 2.0/2.2 I'll probably end up rewriting
the cron job so that sources the sysconfig file from my onboot script
and and also does the groupinstalls.

For 2.3 and beyond, I'd love to see an /etc/sysconfig/yum-script.  This
is a script for the 'yum shell' functionality that could be used by the
cron job and updateonboot script.  This way I could get rid of the
'groupinstall' calls in the init script, and put it in the yum-script.
(Putting the yum script in /etc/sysconfig was originally someone else's
idea, I'm just bringing it back up)

> I also want to work on e-mailed reports of updates. My current plan is to
> get yum logging to syslog, and then generate reports via epylog.

Is there a reason /var/log/yum.log won't work for this?  Then just write
an epylog module to handle it?

>>I'll go ahead and make a tarball later today with the files as well as
>>the .spec I made for it.   I was hoping someone might suggest a better
>>name.  I started calling it 'yum-update', but changed it to
>>'yum-updateonboot' right before I posted it since I thought 'yum-update'
>>might be confusing.
>

> How about "yum-autoupdate"? (That'd include both the on-boot thing, and an
> improved cron script.)

It does describe the combined effect.  At the moment I'm wondering about
a name for the updateonboot init script, since that name will have to be
passed to service and chkconfig command lines.  If the two init scripts
were to be combined, I figured they'd just be called 'yum'.  If they're
to be separate, the updateonboot needs a good name, and I think my
current one is hard to read and annoying to type :)

Thanks,

Sean