[Yum-devel] "doastold" option, or, putting code where my mouth is

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Mar 10 08:47:34 UTC 2005

> Oh come on. It's not THAT imporant, and I don't even want the command-line
> switch, but a small, change in default behavior to remove a useless
> prompt when what user asked for is exactly what (s)he'd get.

default behavior won't be changing. Not for a confirmation. I was
considering merging an option in the config file for this feature
(provided the patch gets fixed in the ways I've mentioned in the bug
report) but we're not changing the default behavior. I like that yum
errs on the side of caution in EVERY situation and that will be a
consistent focus. You may consider the confirmation useless, I consider
it appropriate discretion.

> How about you folks who are opposed to it actually go ahead and try it for
> a while on your local systems and see if it makes sense? I'm willing to
> bet you'll "see the light" :) but if not .. well, case closed then.

Just b/c something is convenient does not mean it is appropriately safe.
It's convenient to stay logged in all the time, it is not safe nor do I
recommend it.