[Yum-devel] requested 'protectbase', as used in yum 2.0

David L. Parsley parsley at linuxjedi.org
Mon Mar 7 15:34:56 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 22:37, seth vidal wrote:
> > This isn't package versioning I'm talking about.  This is 1st place,
> > 2nd place, and 3rd place.  Even my mother understands the difference
> > between the blue ribbon, the red ribbon, and the white ribbon.
>
> which, from a repo standpoint, is very hard to award. Why should
> joebloggs repo be a higher score than janebloggs? Do you trust joebloggs
> more than janebloggs? And if so, why do you have janebloggs  enabled at
> all?

Because janebloggs packages coolfoo and the obscure libbar and libbaz
that coolfoo depends on.  Unfortunately, cleesh and rezrov are in there,
which would upgrade packages from the distro, which I don't want.

So, how do I sanely install and upgrade these packages from janebloggs
repo?

Currently, I might add:
[janebloggs]
includepkgs=coolfoo libbar libbaz $YUM0

So I can install just those from the janebloggs, repo, and use:
YUM0=* yum [list|search] ...

... so I can still use yum to see what's in the janebloggs repo.

Another possibility, using Seth's repo groups:
[base]
group=dist

[updates]
group=dist

[janeboggs]
excludepkgs=@dist

... that's certainly much nicer than the first option.  Even better:
[janeboggs]
excludepkgs=@dist -izyuk

... which would allow izyuk.

Note this would imply @dist is evaluated without it's own includes &
excludes applied (else there could be loops).

However, the more I think about the complexity and maintainability of
priorities, scoring, protectebase, etc., the less I like them.  The
first option seems usable to me, just a bit painful currently.  I don't
like having to include $YUM0 just so I can list & search everything in
the repo; I'd much rather see either a '--all' flag that ignores
includes & excludes for a given operation.  I'm not sure how big a pain
it will be to edit the yum.conf each time I want to add a package from
janebloggs, so I'll just let that go for the moment.

I'm still thinking about all of this, but for now I'm thinking I might
be happy with just a '--all' flag.

regards,
	David