[Yum-devel] requested 'protectbase', as used in yum 2.0

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Mar 7 03:37:01 UTC 2005

> This isn't package versioning I'm talking about.  This is 1st place,
> 2nd place, and 3rd place.  Even my mother understands the difference
> between the blue ribbon, the red ribbon, and the white ribbon.

which, from a repo standpoint, is very hard to award. Why should
joebloggs repo be a higher score than janebloggs? Do you trust joebloggs
more than janebloggs? And if so, why do you have janebloggs  enabled at
all?

> So giving people less things to break is good.  Okay, then remove the
> "installonlypkgs" from the config file.  After all, someone screwing
> with that line could easily FUBAR his system.  And while we're at it,
> this idea of "multiple repositories" is just going to confuse people
> and mess things up.  Let's get rid of that too.

As many times as I've tried to explain it it's amazing how many people
don't understand it. Sensible defaults w/o hundreds of knobs to push is
how you make software that dtrt. If you focus on making it for the
extremely complex case you end up with a program that's hard to program
for (b/c of all the if statements) and difficult to design a workable ui
for.

> By default, all repositories are equal.  The only time priority
> becomes an issue is when someone wants it to be.  It's no more "overly
> complex" than the cruise control in my car.  When I don't want it to
> be there, I just keep my foot on the gas.  When I do, it steps in and
> takes over.

But think about if you got in a car with hundreds of dials all over the
dashboard. Hundreds of them. How would you know which one to touch, or
worse yet, not touch.

the repo scoring implementation code-wise is not all that hard - you
just add an attribute to the repository object and you use that as your
first-order separation when you have two packages of the same name from
different repositories providing the same requirement.

Of course this doesn't even get into how you deal with obsoletes. Can a
package from a score 0 repo obsolete a score 2?