[Yum-devel] requested 'protectbase', as used in yum 2.0

Menno Smits menno-yum at freshfoo.com
Sun Mar 6 23:41:12 UTC 2005

Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Sunday, 06 March 2005, at 13:11:43 (-0500),
> seth vidal wrote:
>

>>We will not be overriding the ver comparison with a super-epoch
>>provided by the repository.
>

> And this "protectbase" thing is different...how, exactly?
>
> Anything that would override normal EVR comparison is exactly this.
> It's only a matter of degrees.  Just because it's a 0/1 vs. 1-n
> doesn't make it any less an override.

Michael, I agree with you that both ways are EVR overrides. The priority
system just gets a whole lot more confusing for the user.

When Seth asked for anyone to think of a more generic solution, I came
up with the per-repo priority system too. I discounted it though because
of the end-user headaches it'll probably create.

Can you think of a real-world situation where having more than one level
of protection is going to be useful?

Menno