[Yum-devel] requested 'protectbase', as used in yum 2.0

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Mar 6 23:44:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 18:32 -0500, Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Sunday, 06 March 2005, at 13:11:43 (-0500),
> seth vidal wrote:
>
> > We will not be overriding the ver comparison with a super-epoch
> > provided by the repository.
>
> And this "protectbase" thing is different...how, exactly?
>
> Anything that would override normal EVR comparison is exactly this.
> It's only a matter of degrees.  Just because it's a 0/1 vs. 1-n
> doesn't make it any less an override.

no, protectbase is a modification to package exclusions. There's a
significant different. In protectbase it is saying packages that are
'foo' are NEVER considered. With repository scoring it is saying
packages from this repository are less good than packages from this
other repository. It leaves the door open for a painful qualitative
evaluation of 'less good'.

and you'll note I'm not terribly keen on protectbase.