[Yum-devel] Question about packaging ElementTree and cElementTree

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at linux.duke.edu
Sun Mar 6 22:20:52 UTC 2005

Hello:

I am one of the contributors to the "YUM" package management project
(http://linux.duke.edu/yum) and we have recently reimplemented XML
parsing routines in cElementTree rather than in libxml2. Using iterparse
as opposed to XmlReader allowed us to speed up the parsing significantly
-- 2 to 3 times as fast on very large files, not to mention that the
cElementTree API is much more "pythonic" and, well, isn't painful.

To be able to use cElementTree with YUM, we will need to include it in
the Red Hat core releases (Fedora Core, for example), and we were
wondering if you have any objections to packaging both ElementTree and
cElementTree as one package instead of two separate ones. That would
appear to be tidier, but it's unclear which version number should be
used, or whether you would object to this.

Have you considered joining these two projects into one? Would you be
against it if we combined them into one python-elementtree-1.2.5
package?

With kind regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev <icon at linux.duke.edu>