[Yum-devel] requested 'protectbase', as used in yum 2.0

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Mar 5 14:55:04 UTC 2005

> I think the per-repo unprotect option is the better way to do this (not
> the cmd line switch). Its not pretty but at least then yum.conf
> documents the protectbase exceptions that are in place and future update
> behaviour is consistent (without relying on the Vendor tag).

The problem with unprotect is when we get into wildcards.

protect=yes
unprotect=lftp* xorg*

so now we have to iterate two sets of lists and remove one from the
other before excluding packages, or exclude all the packages that fall
in the 'protectbase' category and then unexclude them if they match the
unprotect line.

That's the part I don't like.

The other thing that gets icky is, of course, the next most common
request that we'll get:

 "I want protectbase on, but if a package that is protected needs to be
updated from a 3rd party repo for a dependency then I want that pulled
in"

In other words, exclude, except for when it's a dep.

Which is just horribly ugly.