[Yum-devel] requested feature: protectbase

Menno Smits menno-yum at freshfoo.com
Sat Mar 5 10:55:04 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:
> Hey,
>  So some folks who work on one of the rhel rebuild projects were
> wondering about a feature and I told them I'd bounce it here and see
> what other people think.

> Then the rest of the transaction would run normally with those packages
> simply excluded.
>
> So, my concern: It's kind of an obscure need and an odd situation for
> it. Implementing it in yum means another feature to lug along. And I
> have this nagging feeling that there is a better, more generic way to
> implement this that is not so coarse grained.

I've had/have exactly the problem that this feature would solve so I'd
welcome something like it.

I've tried to think of a more generic solution but everything I've come
up with has been far more clumsy than the original proposal.

> On the plus side from the look of things so far this would be one
> function in yum/__init__.py that would use existing methods and a couple
> of config options per-repo.

If its really that easy I vote that this goes in. I would find this
quite useful.

Menno