[Yum-devel] cElementTree

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Mar 5 01:48:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 16:52 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 16:48 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> > There was some breakage related to the fact that cElementTree returns
> > all strings as type unicode and not as type str, which is what
> > sqlitecache.py was expecting when making a query. This is the code that
> > seems to work for me in yum, see attached mdparser.py and the patch.
>
> Sometimes I feel silly. :) This is mo betta since an object that doesn't
> have a 'replace' method clearly can't have any single quotes in it, so
> no need to cast it into unicode just to try to remove them. :)
>
> Better patch attached.

so here's my only beef.

if we're going to use cElementTree - and it is substantially faster in
the tests i've done thus far - then we need to do it for ALL the xml.
That means no more libxml2 at all. It's nothing personal, but I'd like
to only be dep'ing on a single xml library. :)

other questions:
 1. does cElementTree work with python 2.2? Does iterparse()? If not
then we get hung up making this work on rhel3 :(
 2. what's the cElementTree maintenance and license?