[Yum-devel] A little speed comparison

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Fri Mar 4 15:55:22 UTC 2005

Folks, yum has come *far* from the days of yum 2.0... It actually beats
apt at least in some simple operations and package listing is close enough
("yum list" does somewhat more than "apt-cache pkgnames" so it's not 100%
comparable):

[root at chip yum]# time apt-get -y install telnet > /dev/null
real    0m7.546s
user    0m4.800s
sys     0m1.682s

[root at chip yum]# time ./yummain.py -y install telnet > /dev/null
real    0m4.413s
user    0m2.976s
sys     0m0.294s

[root at chip yum]# time apt-cache pkgnames|wc -l
2589
real    0m1.032s
user    0m0.462s
sys     0m0.223s

[root at chip yum]# time ./yummain.py list|wc -l
2636
real    0m4.170s
user    0m3.513s
sys     0m0.462s

I'll try to do some dist-upgrade depsolving timing comparisons one of
these days, should be interesting...

Anyway, in case you didn't already guess - you've won me over: yum is
roughly as fast as apt, give or take a couple of seconds. I wont be
missing the horrors of C++ anytime soon. :)

 	- Panu -