[Yum-devel] plugings modifying the URLGrabber instance

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jun 28 21:22:28 UTC 2005

> Okay, well, something slightly defferent...
>
> Not only am I interested in RHN support in Yum, but the potentially
> better method of allowing a CGI or XMLRPC agent to track Yum clients.
>
> The need for this is obvious.  I think the key is to do so in a very
> generic fashion.  Yum provides the needed hooks but nothing more.  The
> logic and authentication can be handled by the plugins.  This keeps the
> site specific mess out of yum and away from the developers.  (Ie, Auth to
> site specific CGI, get repo configs, etc.)
>
> The most obvious "hook" is to be able to present a token in the HTTP
> headers, or as a GET form request.

okay so the first and most obvious question:

why not:
 yum -c http://path/to/some.cgi?uuid=mystring-of-doom

or in /etc/yum.conf
include=http://path/to/some.cgi?uuid=mystring-of-doom

Now from the other direction ie server-push - I think we have, inside
the yum shell code enough of a POC to work on xml-rpc methods.