[Yum-devel] Fedora update metadata

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Jun 20 20:51:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 04:24:27PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > produced long after the package, so that's hard. Better to have some easy
> > system to tie the NEVR of a package to a standard URL where the update
> > announcement can be found, and have GUI tools (and maybe yum plugins) able
> > to look at that (and leave yum itself out of it).
> no. that doesn't scale - it means the url's site gets overloaded.

I didn't necessarily mean an http/ftp URL. I guess URI instead of URL -- the
actual info could still be mirrored. Could be as simple as
"updateinfo:packagename-epoch-version-release.info.xml".

> The current plan is to have a createrepo be able to have a site passed
> to it. It will check the site (actually a  cgi) for the package-id (or
> other unique identifier) of each package and look for update information
> for that release. If it finds it will include it in the repodata. That
> way anyone mirroring that repo will automatically get the info AND it
> will still work on removeable media.

That's kinda clever -- basically the same idea but moved up to createrepo
rather than waiting 'til final install time. Which is probably more reliable
anyway.

> It means the place where you make your repositories has to have network
> access but that's not a big surprise.

It would be helpful to me if it were easy to tell createrepo to look in
multiple places -- if the BU source doesn't have notes for a particular
package, look at the Fedora one.