[Yum-devel] Fedora update metadata

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Jun 20 20:22:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 04:08:10PM -0400, Luke Macken wrote:
> I'm currently working on the Fedora Update System, which will be used
> for pushing package updates (as opposed to editing that nasty 'list'
> file, playing e-mail tag with release team, etc).  We're at the point
> now where we should start thinking about what kind of update information
> this system should provide for yum/pup.

It makes my day to hear that someone is working on this.

> I was curious if anyone had anything that they would like to see
> implemented ?

It'd be kind of cool if there'd be some standard way in the changelog of
packages to reference the update message -- then, yum/pup/whatever could
just look at that. But I assume usually the update announcement will be
produced long after the package, so that's hard. Better to have some easy
system to tie the NEVR of a package to a standard URL where the update
announcement can be found, and have GUI tools (and maybe yum plugins) able
to look at that (and leave yum itself out of it).