[Yum-devel] PATCH: make kernel modules not suck

Jack Neely jjneely at pams.ncsu.edu
Mon Jun 20 17:46:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 12:39:14AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 00:27 -0400, Jack Neely wrote:
> > Seth,
> >
> > So...in my reading of all the kernel module threads it came to me that
> > there was something important left out.  Any way you attack the problem
> > code in Yum/Up2date has to change.  However, the burden should not rest
> > on the actual packager to make whatever kernel module magic is needed
> > happen.  Ie: naming your module with that horrid kernel version in
> > package name mess.  Yum/Up2date should have all the smarts.
> >
> > The attached patch requires two things from the packager.  Must provide
> > "kernel-modules" and must require the kernel VR the module is built for.
> > I think both are now fairly excepted.
> >
> > What does this patch do?  It doesn't solve all the kernel module fun,
> > just one part of it.  This patch makes the decision to install or
> > "upgrade" a kernel module.  If a module of the same name is already
> > installed see if it requires the same kernel(s) as the package that is
> > to be installed/upgraded.  If the requirements on the kernel are the
> > same its taken as an upgrade, otherwsie just install as before.
> >

> That will only work if the kernel v-r are included in the kernel-module
> package name.
>
> So for the majority case where the kernel v-r are not in the
> kernel-module package name you'll end up just killing off old versions
> of the kernel-module, potentially for running kernels.

This method is not designed to work with kernel v-r in the package
/name/.  I don't really care for that approach.

I've done some limited testing on FC4 with my openafs-kernel packages.
Although I definitely want to test it more its producing the desired
results.

> it seems like if you're going to do the upgrade you'd be better off
> looking for all the items of the same name req'ing the same kernel v-r
> and mark them as erase while you mark the new kernel-module package as
> install.

That's what the patch does.  All the magic is based off examining what
kernels are required by the module packages.

Jack

--
Jack Neely <slack at quackmaster.net>
Realm Linux Administration and Development