[Yum-devel] PATCH: make kernel modules not suck

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jun 20 04:39:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 00:27 -0400, Jack Neely wrote:
> Seth,
>
> So...in my reading of all the kernel module threads it came to me that
> there was something important left out.  Any way you attack the problem
> code in Yum/Up2date has to change.  However, the burden should not rest
> on the actual packager to make whatever kernel module magic is needed
> happen.  Ie: naming your module with that horrid kernel version in
> package name mess.  Yum/Up2date should have all the smarts.
>
> The attached patch requires two things from the packager.  Must provide
> "kernel-modules" and must require the kernel VR the module is built for.
> I think both are now fairly excepted.
>
> What does this patch do?  It doesn't solve all the kernel module fun,
> just one part of it.  This patch makes the decision to install or
> "upgrade" a kernel module.  If a module of the same name is already
> installed see if it requires the same kernel(s) as the package that is
> to be installed/upgraded.  If the requirements on the kernel are the
> same its taken as an upgrade, otherwsie just install as before.

That will only work if the kernel v-r are included in the kernel-module
package name.

So for the majority case where the kernel v-r are not in the
kernel-module package name you'll end up just killing off old versions
of the kernel-module, potentially for running kernels.

it seems like if you're going to do the upgrade you'd be better off
looking for all the items of the same name req'ing the same kernel v-r
and mark them as erase while you mark the new kernel-module package as
install.