[Yum-devel] rpmdb presentation of plugin api

Menno Smits menno-yum at freshfoo.com
Tue Jun 7 11:53:46 UTC 2005

Panu Matilainen wrote:

> I'm wondering is it a good idea to give plugins access to the "raw"
> rpmdb object. For one, it's not exactly friendly to work with because
> it's so different from what you get from conduit.getPackages().
> Something like this ... thoughts?

I agree that the rpmdb object isn't too nice and is different too
everything else.

Your approach chews up lots of RAM (the package list is ~34MB on my
machine) and it doesn't allow any sort of querying. Perhaps an iterator
interface that yields YumInstalledPackage instances would be better? At
least then the caller can discard packages that it isn't interested in.

Menno