[Yum-devel] release stuff

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Jun 6 07:08:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Menno Smits wrote:

> seth vidal wrote:
>> Hey Folks,
>>  So I think I'm going to release current cvs-HEAD as yum 2.3.3 and then
>> start on whatever work we need to start on to march out the api changes
>> and other features for 2.4.X.
>>
>> that cool w/everyone?
>
> Will there be a yum 2.3.4+? I've got small but important plugin related
> changes coming that should probably be released in yum 2.3.x rather than
> waiting for 2.4.x.

..which reminds me: it occurred to me yesterday that the current
postresolve step has no way to affect the success/failure of dependency
resolution result as seen by the rest of yum, which decreases its
usefulnes somewhat. For example think about a plugin that adds something
like --fix-missing option which, when used tries to work around broken
dependendencies by preventing the problematic updates from happening
(think of rawhide and the endless "yum is broken" whining because
some depedencies happen to be broken at tree of the day). Currently you
could fix the transaction (at least in theory) but there's no way to
change the original result of dependency resolution.

This'd basically require the plugin run() to return something... but what
happens if there are more than one plugin running at a given slot etc.
Thoughts?

 	- Panu -