[Yum-devel] yum-src vs yumdownloader

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Jun 1 15:17:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 16:20 +0200, Gijs Hollestelle wrote:
> On 6/1/05, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been intending to ask the same - I'd really like to see it in extras
> > > rather sooner than later. Some basic checking might be in order to see
> > > that things there work with yum 2.3.2 (they should, AFAIK) but there's
> > > useful stuff in there, no reason to keep hiding them in CVS :)
> >
> > I happen to know some folks who might be able to get packages into
> > fedora extras. :)
> >
> > I'll test out a yum-utils 0.2 package on a system w/o my local cvs pull
> > and see if it blows up or not, tomorrow.
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry for being absent on the mailing lists for the past week. I think
> it would be a great idea to do a yum-utils release. Maybe the README
> file needs some more work, what is in there right now is just
> something I hacked up real quickly. On the other hand it might be
> better to have something out there instead of focussing too much on
> making it perfect.

Yup, perhaps a brief "what does this thing do" section for each included
util (extra bonus for usage examples :) would be good in the README. I
can try to add something like that there, probably tomorrow.

Hmm, currently the file says "Yum-utils is a collection of utilities,
plugins and examples related to the yum package manager." Note the
plugin part... I think there was a somewhat inconclusive discussion on
where to collect the various plugins people write eventually (I'll be
doing plenty of those for one :) A plugins/ dir with subdir per plugin
in yum-utils would be quite a nice place to put them, at least from my
POV.

	- Panu -