[Yum-devel] repoquery - other stuff

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Jun 1 06:10:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, 31 May 2005, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 19:37 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> Of course one way to deal with this would be having yum-cache or such
>> group and have the cache directory group writable.
>
> eh, making more users and dealing with that is just more complexity.

I didn't say I particularly like the idea either :)

> let's keep it simple.
>
> you make the cache as a superuser.
>
> if a superuser didn't install the rpmdb-fedora, before, you got nada.

Yup. Well, if one really wants to have a user updatable metadata cache
they can set up an alternative yum.conf with ~/.yum/ as cachedir and
update as much as they want.

Hmm.. except that yum blocks this kind of usage :(
[pmatilai at 2 ~]$ yum -c .yum.conf makecache
You need to be root to perform this command.

 	- Panu -