[Yum-devel] Time for new yum-utils release?

Menno Smits menno-yum at freshfoo.com
Wed Jul 20 03:48:43 UTC 2005

Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On a related note - any thoughts about packaging the plugins? I think
> it'd be nice to have the plugins as separate packages so they'd get
> properly updated, instead of just including them as %doc. And if they're
> to be packaged, should we just call them yum-<pluginname> or something
> like yum-plugin-<name>? The latter would at least be very obvious what
> those things are, but 'yum-protectbase' is quite clear as well.

I thought the plugins in yum-utils were mainly there as examples for
people to work from. Seth didn't want to have to maintain all the crack
in there as the Yum API evolves. Given that the plugins aren't
necessarily being tested for every Yum release it might not be a good
idea to start packaging them.

On the other hand, if someone wants to put their hand up and maintain
the yum-utils plugins so they continue to work as Yum changes, I'm sure
that'd be welcome. I'd be all for packaging the plugins if that was the
case.

Menno