[Yum-devel] XTrigger and user interaction in GUIs

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 10:45:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 18:40 +1000, Menno Smits wrote:
>This is mainly aimed at Paul Nasrat regarding pup but any other input
>would be appreciated.
>
>I've created a fairly simple module called XTrigger to allow custom
>actions to be triggered when certain conditions occur as yum runs a
>transaction). These conditions and actions are configured via a XML
>file(s). Python functions are referenced from the XML to evaluate
>conditions and execute actions. See the yum-devel archives for more info
>on XTrigger. The module is not yet integrated with yum and is by no
>means complete.
>
>Seth and I have recently been discussing how GUIs for yum could make
>things a little interesting as XTrigger actions may involve user
>interaction.
>
>My initial thinking is that there needs to be a standard
>interface/"primitives" that yum provides for user interaction
>(displaying information, providing simple prompts etc). These could be
>called by XTrigger actions as required. A GUI that imports yum could
>provide more suitable versions of these functions to suit the GUI
>environment.

This sounds the right sort of thing to be doing - you'll probably
quickly find common types/classes of actions.

Michael mentioned debconf which I've looked at in the past - I'll try
and dig up some links.  You might also want to look at the conary
dynamic tags stuff too http://wiki.specifixinc.com/ConaryDynamicTags

Paul