[Yum-devel] [UG] proxy support

Ryan Tomayko rtomayko at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 19:20:04 UTC 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 1:30 PM, Michael Stenner wrote:
> Yeah, that's why I'm so damned happy to have a test proxy set up
> (thanks again Jeremy!).  Also, (and this is mostly for Ryan), I've now
> included instructions in the urlgrabber cvs repo for setting up vsftp
> and squid test servers.  The unittests just skip those if the servers
> aren't available, though.

Great. I'll take a look.

> ... The only this is a lingering API question related to
> batch grabbing (for example, with threads, although a select-based
> approach may still be appealing).  Ryan and I both spent a bunch of
> time on this a while back, and it's a tough problem to solve well.

I spent quite a bit of time on this and never came close to somewhere I
thought was stable.

> It might be best to work toward a 3.0.0 release WITHOUT batch stuff,
> and then do batch stuff in 3.1.x, allowing for a possible API break to
> 3.2.0 or 4.0.0 (depending on the size of the break).  If we go that
> route, then I'd be perfectly happy calling it beta right now, and
> would expect to call it stable very shortly.

I think that's a good idea. I know I'm not going to have the time to
figure out all the gaps with batch grabbing and then have it working
properly in any kind of reliable timeframe. Michael, if you or others
can take this up then cool but I just don't have the bandwidth right
now.

Thanks,
Ryan