[Yum-devel] [UG] proxy support

Michael Stenner mstenner at linux.duke.edu
Fri Feb 25 00:12:12 UTC 2005

OK, everybody throw a big thanks Jeremy's way.  I set up a test squid
server and started playing around with it.  I made up some simple unit
tests.  This led to the finding and fixing of two fairly serious
bugs.  It turns out all those people bitching that proxies often broke
were probably not on crack.

  1) there was a bug in the proxy caching that made it so the first
     time the application (ie yum) tried to use a given set of
     proxies, they would not really get used.  You might never notice
     (if the proxy is not required) or you might catch it on a retry.
     This one is our fault (Ryan's actually, but I won't point fingers)

  2) urllib2 under python 2.2 is a bit broken, and the upshot is that
     if you tried to do ftp or non-keepalive http through a proxy, it
     just never worked.  It always tried to connect normally.  I've
     now worked around this in urlgrabber.

These are significant bugfixes, and so I'll probably push a new
version in the next few days.  Ryan, perhaps you could take a look at
that zero-range issue related to Seth's request for modification-time
based stuff.  I noticed poking around that I didn't actually make FTP
support check_timestamp mode for reget, but it falls back to
reget=None mode.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G