[Yum-devel] [UG] python-urlgrabber test packages

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Feb 24 18:11:42 UTC 2005

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  You'd rather make yum dep
> against "urlgrabber" and then have python-urlgrabber Provide that?
> What's better about that than simply dep-ing against
> python-urlgrabber?  (you know deps better than most anybody, so I'm
> assuming I'm missing something)

I was making yum dep against urlgrabber so if someone took urlgrabber
from linux.duke.edu/projects/urlgrabber and built the rpm from there
that it would still work to resolve the yum requirement. In other words
to keep the urlgrabber dependency from being overly fedora-core-centric.

> How should this work?  If changes need to happen (package name, etc),
> then I'd prefer to pull as much of that as possible back into our
> tree.  However, if they're always going to have to go through you (or
> somebody else) and get repackaged, that's fine.  I figure there will
> be signing issue.
>
> Can you tell me what you did to repackage it?  Did you just open up
> the .src.rpm, change the specfile and then rebuild it?

The idea is the packager for core keeps the package updated for the
release. Right now no one outside of redhat.com can be a packager for
core, though.

I just built it up that way and I'll probably pass it up to core through
jeremy or chris.

All I did was take your srpm and change the name (and the requisite
parts related to that) and added the changelog.

Then I built it on an fc3 machine. I can build it w/o a problem on a
rawhide box, too.