[Yum-devel] [UG] keepalive-like connections for FTP

Michael Stenner mstenner at linux.duke.edu
Thu Feb 24 17:08:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:49:39AM -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
> Just wondering if there is any current way in urlgrabber to have
> connections to FTP servers similar to how the HTTP code supports
> keepalive.  If not, any plans to add support for something like this?
> Ideally, I'd be able to use an ftp "keepalive" module in much the same
> way as the HTTP one, regardless of what's really going on for connection
> support under the hood.

Hey Chris, we talked about this several times a while back.  Here's
the comment in the TODO (written by Ryan):

  * Consider using CacheFTPHandler instead of FTPHandler in
    byterange.py.  CacheFTPHandler reuses connections but this may
    lead to problems with ranges. I've tested CacheFTPHandler with
    ranges using vsftpd as a server and everything works fine but this
    needs more exhaustive tests or a fallback mechanism. Also,
    CacheFTPHandler breaks in the same way keepalive breaks with
    multiple threads.

Note that keepalive has since been made threadsafe.  I think we'd all
like this to work, and it looks promising.  It's just the standard
issues of time :)   If you (or anyone else) wants to play around with
it, Ryan and I would be happy to provide guidance.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G