[Yum-devel] repo-rss.py

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Feb 24 00:18:45 UTC 2005

>Oh, of course that's okay by me if somebody is actually interested in
>the thingy. The feedback so far hasn't been exactly overwhelming. :D
>BTW just did a minor update to it so you can query src.rpm's as well and
>look up package urls. The base "design" still sucks royally... but
>there's hope I actually might get around to doing something about it
>soon :)

And just think - with Gijs/Mennos sqlite db backend work for yum -
querying won't SUCK. :)

>Sounds like a good idea to me to have a separate yum-utils, even though
>it will be a ridiculously small package :) But that way the utils can be
>improved without having to update yum proper so it's probably worth it.

exactly.

>Speaking of yum-utils: I have a vague recollection of seeing 'yum-
>download' mentioned somewhere, sometime. If such a thing exists I think
>it'd be a good candidate for yum-utils as well (or have I just been
>dreaming? :)

I'd be completely comfortable with that, yes. I can probably  do that in
an evening, actually.

>Another thing which I really, really miss is build-dep operation: I
>think you said you'd want to have a separate yum-src for that, or would
>it be something that you'd consider adding to yum itself if somebody
>implemented it? (hint: I miss it badly enough to be willing to implement
>it...)

I double dare you. I'd prefer it be in a program that uses the yum
modules but not actually IN yum, though. So if you want to do it - you
wouldn't have to worry about stringing it along _in_ yum. However, if
there are functions you end up writing that would make more sense in the
yum module then I don't see any reason why they shouldn't go there.