[Yum-devel] Selecting mirrors on the "freshness" of their repomd, not just their speed

Tue Dec 20 11:55:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 11:44 +0000, Willem Riede wrote:
> > update > > the files handed out at the mirrorlist=<url>. surely that is
> > going to be > > more effective at checking mirrror freshness.
> > what > you say:
> > server;
> >
> > Have you asked?
>
> No - I admit it is just an expectation - who/where would I ask?
> And, how difficult would it be to set up a robust mechanism of mirrors
> reporting to the main site that their mirror has now been updated?

Well, at CentOS we are looking to have the machine that generates the
mirrorlist look at all the machines that we are calling official
mirrors.

We have yet to determine the particulars of this scenario, but it will
be a pull operation from one machine ... testing official mirrors at an
interval and looking for a timestamp.  That will have much less
bandwidth usage than every client testing every mirror for every repo on
their machine.

This solution would, of course, only apply to the CentOS mirrors.  If
Fedora does something similar, it would apply only to Fedora mirrors.
RPMforge (or any other mirror network) would also have to initiate
server testing to eliminate dead mirrors.

But ... other than rollover on failure, I don't know how you would
really test that on the client.