[Yum-devel] yum-utils packaging

Mon Dec 19 16:25:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 09:45 -0500, Brian Long wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 19:46 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > > I would not mind helping out.  What would you like to see take place?
> >
> > Well, you were the one with suggestions and questions. - why don't you
> > tell me? :)
>
> I've followed the threads about fastestmirror, for example, and I wonder
> when it makes sense to make it a subpackage?  Also, did Luke ever get
> CVS access so he can maintain it somewhere besides his Red Hat people
> page?

I have modified the yum-utils package for CentOS-4 (currently in
testing) to include fastestmirror and protectbase enabled and a yum-
utils-plugins rpm.

http://dev.centos.org/centos/4/testing/i386/RPMS/yum-utils-plugins-0.3.1-2.centos4.noarch.rpm

SRPM here:
http://dev.centos.org/centos/4/testing/SRPMS/yum-utils-0.3.1-2.centos4.src.rpm

(it is not the latest code and has some patches ... so it needs work ...
but it is an idea)

> How long should a plugin be available before it would be considered
> stable for inclusion in the yum tarball but with enabled=0?  Or do you
> expect to always keep plugins separate no matter how useful?

I want to include protectbase and fastestmirror in the yum for CentOS-4
in the near future (as we plan to use mirrorlist= in the future and
having fastestmirror in conjunction with mirrorlist will be a very good
feature set).

I think the only thing stopping it right now is the fastestmirror
problem with proxy servers.

> It appears yum-utils 0.3.1 is in Fedora Extras.  I have not compared its
> SPEC file to the one included in the yum-utils tarball, but doesn't it
> make sense to combine the SPEC file maintenance?  In other words, should
> it be the yum project's responsibility to maintain a SPEC file
> compatible with Fedora Extras?  Or should this project only take
> suggestions from Fedora Extras and integrate them if deemed useful?
>
> I'm trying to get a read on various mindsets before digging too much
> futher  :)

I think each project should include the items that they think make sense
for them individually.