[Yum-devel] Re: errata/update notice parsing/handling

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Thu Dec 15 16:15:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 02:30:09AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
| On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 02:01 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
| > Hi folks,
| >  See attached update_md.py and errata.xml
| >
| > I made one change of adding a title element to the update object.
| >

| okay - so maybe title is a dumb idea.
|

| After talking about it with luke some  - I think we don't need a title
| as a human-readable way of uniquely identifying the packages.

I don't see it as a big deal, and either way the update system can
figure out the title of an update on it's own (either from a <title> field,
or from concatinating n-v-r and whatnot).

Since we're dealing with a metadata format here, I'd say it's better to
have more details than less -- so I'm for it.

| in many update notices it is the n-v-r of the srpm that made the
| packages in the update. But what about errata that impact more than one
| srpm? Do we have those? Shouldn't we be prepared for those in any event?

The way the update system handles multi-package updates is it keeps them
all together associated by a common update id, but sends separate emails
for each package.  I think the current format layout should be able to
encompass this just fine.

| ideas?

I'll try and hack out an implementation of this on the update system
side next week at some point.  Where do you think the best place to store
this data would be ?

luke