[Yum-devel] yum 2.5.0

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Dec 13 08:17:02 UTC 2005

BIG NOTE:

  DO NOT USE THIS RELEASE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. IT COULD
EAT BABIES AND CORRUPT RPMDB's. IT WILL ALMOST ABSOLUTELY MAKE
INAPPROPRIATE ADVANCES TO YOUR
SISTER/GIRLFRIEND/MOTHER/BROTHER/FATHER/BOYFRIEND. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Hey folks,
 I went through with pychecker and I tested all the functions I could
think of to test, fixed a bunch of obvious broken things and made yup a
yum 2.5.0 release.

Tarball:
 http://linux.duke.edu/yum/download/2.5/yum-2.5.0.tar.gz

SRPM:
 http://linux.duke.edu/yum/download/2.5/yum-2.5.0-1.src.rpm

There's probably a fair bit of API breakage but a lot of that is
happening to make the interface much more obvious. - Examples below.

python

now you have a populated transaction set.

will depsolve the transaction set.

you just need to provide the callbacks and download the packages and
you've got a complete transaction. There's still a lot more to go to
make the api easier to use but we're making headway in the right
direction.

Menno and Paul have completely redone the config handling ultimately
making it much easier to read and simpler to handle.

Changes:
 - comps is completely changed - do not bank on your existing
comps.xml/yumgroups.xml files working as you expect them to. see
yum/comps.py for info on the new format. The format is still in flux a
bit - so expect some breakage here in the future.
 - Many, Many API breaks
 - A number of obvious and painful speedups :)
 - Read the Changelog in the tarball for complete details

let us know what breaks,
thanks,