[Yum-devel] devel/2.5.0 goals/targets

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Aug 26 13:40:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 23:37 -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, seth vidal wrote:
> > - implementing ts.order() in python so we don't, ultimately, need to
> > download the rpm header from remote - essentially 'assembling' a header
> > from the metadata we have.
>
> You mean ts.check(), right? ts.order() before the final (test) transaction
> has access to the actual rpm's so it can use rpmlib ts.order() just fine
> and also do rpmlib ts.check() if only for sanity checking purposes.

No, ts.order(). RPM's ordering is dependent on exactly what packages you
pass in and is only one of many correct partial orderings.  This makes
it hard to be able to avoid having to do installs where you put in CD 1,
then 2, 3, 2, 4, 3, 1, ... :)

Also, in a situation where we're using media, you don't necessarily have
the actual packages before you start the transaction since if you're
doing installs from CD (or actually from a network source also), you
don't want to have to download all of the packages before you actually
start installing them.  Doing so would add a pretty significant disk
size overhead as well as probably a time overhead.

Jeremy