[Yum-devel] devel/2.5.0 goals/targets

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Aug 26 06:37:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, seth vidal wrote:

> Hey,
> So I've been working on a list of things for 2.5.0 and wanted to post
> them to let people know what I'd like to see in cvs-HEAD before we make
> an early release of the next devel branch.
> Specific goals for 2.5.0:
> - config class abstracted out so that the configparser config file
> handler is a derived class from the base config class.
> - implementing ts.order() in python so we don't, ultimately, need to
> download the rpm header from remote - essentially 'assembling' a header
> from the metadata we have.

You mean ts.check(), right? ts.order() before the final (test) transaction
has access to the actual rpm's so it can use rpmlib ts.order() just fine
and also do rpmlib ts.check() if only for sanity checking purposes.

> - tag for removable media in config and per-repo
> - handling of removable media in the interface and in callbacks.
> - handling of discinfo and discids in metadata

Yup, removeble media a pretty important one - for anaconda and otherwise.
Although the concept is pretty hard to grasp, there are still people
without broadband access :)

> - urlgrabber enhancements:
>   - timestamp check for repomd.xml
>   - fix for ctrl-c failover/cancelling
>   - mirror selection routine - the stuff that lmacken and mstenner have
> been doing.
> - first stab at ripping the logging stuff out and implementing it
> differently to support:
>  - syslog
>  - better error logs/responses from the actual rpm transaction.
>

> What do y'all think? Is there anything you wanted to do for 2.5.0 to
> start out with? Any other long-term goals for this devel series?

Not necessarily for 2.5.0 but for 2.5.x in general: abstracting out the
repository stuff to allow for pluggable repo backends (like RHN) is
missing from the list above.

 	- Panu -