[Yum-devel] Fastest mirror selection plugin

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 22:14:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 03:25:07PM -0700, Michael Stenner wrote:
| Agreed.  I suggest the following:
|
|   make two configuration variables:
|      timeout     --  how long to wait
|      stop_after  --  the number of mirrors we want (2 or 3 by default)
|      (feel free to think of better names)
|
|   If there are N mirrors, then it should stop when ANY of the
|   following happen:
|
|     stop_after mirrors respond
|     N-1 mirrors respond (no need to wait for the last one)
|     timeout is exceeded
|
| I do not propose that we make these yum options, at least not now.
| Lets just pick nice defaults (like stop_after = 2 and timeout = 3
| seconds) and let it be.

I hacked up a select()-based implementation of fastestmirror using the
asynchronous socket handler from the 'asyncore' module.  This version
supports both 'timeout' and 'stop_after' options as well.

If you think this implementation is sufficient, I'd be happy to whip up
a patch for urlgrabber/yum as well.

http://people.redhat.com/lmacken/fastestmirror-asyncore.py

luke