[Yum-devel] request for advice

Scott Robinson scott at quadhome.com
Thu Aug 18 21:28:29 UTC 2005

It seems to me that a HEAD request is the exact thing to solve this
problem. For example:

scott at geneva:~/x$ telnet sentinel-a.trustsentinel.com 80
Trying 134.121.169.24...
Connected to sa8169024.temp.wsu.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD /~scott/repo.asc HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:26:14 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.52 (Fedora)
Last-Modified: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:22:21 GMT
ETag: "244293-41a-b748d40"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

I now know the total length and last modified date for the file. I can
then determine my proper response from that.

If a HEAD response doesn't return the information, just assume the
entire file needs to re-downloaded?

Scott.