[Yum-devel] API Changes: Was: plugings modifying the URLGrabber instance

David L. Parsley parsley at linuxjedi.org
Tue Aug 2 15:18:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 10:54 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 05:06 -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
> > I've been wondering for a while now would it actually make sense to stamp
> > 2.3.4 + fixes in current HEAD as yum 2.4.0 and leave the huge changes for
> > 2.5. Just the enormous speedup in 2.3.x thanks to sqlite would be well
> > worth a new release IMHO (not to mention all the other goodies) and 2.3.4
> > seems very stable to me. As an added bonus putting out 2.4 should shut up
> > most of the "but apt is faster" whiners as well :)
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> It's a fair point. We could stabilize on current HEAD and break compat
> here.
>
> Benefits:
>
>  - we could spend some time on cleanup on 2.4 for distros like centos4,
> fc4 and others
>  - speed advantages you've already explained

- Other important new functionality (for me at least) like multiple gpg
keys and plugins gets out in a stable version.

I'm currently a little hesitant on moving to 2.3.4 for Tao4, knowing
that 2.3.5+ will bring huge changes, incompatibility, etc.

I'd really appreciate seeing a 2.4.0 soonish, and from a feature and
stability standpoint, it sure looks ripe.

regards,
	David