[Yum-devel] API Changes: Was: plugings modifying the URLGrabber instance

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Aug 2 12:06:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005, seth vidal wrote:

> [SNIP] the earlier discussion of what is modern system maintenance. I'll
> answer that more later.
>
> In the meantime - I think we have some amount of consensus that we want
> to make the repo/packagesack/packageobject code more functional for
> different types of data storage.
> This is a non-trivial amount of conversion work once we get the new
> classes written. So I'm wondering - do we want to put out a yum 2.3.4,
> now and then work on these changes. Mainly b/c the amount of changes
> will be pretty huge, I think, we'll be debugging them for a while, I'm
> guessing.
>
> Thoughts?

I've been wondering for a while now would it actually make sense to stamp
2.3.4 + fixes in current HEAD as yum 2.4.0 and leave the huge changes for
2.5. Just the enormous speedup in 2.3.x thanks to sqlite would be well
worth a new release IMHO (not to mention all the other goodies) and 2.3.4
seems very stable to me. As an added bonus putting out 2.4 should shut up
most of the "but apt is faster" whiners as well :)

Thoughts?

 	- Panu -