[Yum-devel] repoquery/yumquery/something

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Sep 10 05:25:22 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 08:10 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
>
> Hello! (bet you didn't expect to see me here :)

I always figured you'd come around. ;)

> Lets see how it goes. You can always split it out of the yum package if
> that comes an issue, eg the repomd python libraries + utils that use them
> into separate package or something.

Well the repomd libraries have always been intended as a separate lib -
but I really didn't feel like packing 3 python modules in separate pkgs
for a yum install. :) People get annoyed when they need a depsolver to
install a depsolver.

> Cli override good. What I'd actually like to see is the repository configs
> be split out of yum.conf and into /etc/repodata.conf or such and
> everything that uses the new repodata model using that instead of
> /etc/yum.conf, /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources etc.

Two thoughts on that:
if it's gonna happen go whole-hog and dump the .conf file entirely -
repo configs should be solely xml stored in a dir somewhere.

You'll note - yum/repos.py has a note about being able to pack repo
config info in from xml files.

> Another related thing: standardizing on the metadata download place, eg
> /var/cache/repodata and again everything using that instead of
> /var/state/apt/.. etc.

No objection.

> Sounds nice. Having slept over this idea I've come to the conclusion I
> don't give a rats a** whether it's rpmquery compatible or not - in fact it
> might be better just to start off clean without any silly compatibility
> burdens. Besides, rpm's default query output format predates multilib
> (and various other things) leading to silliness like:
> [pmatilai at linox01 pmatilai]$ rpm -q glibc
> glibc-2.3.2-95.20
> glibc-2.3.2-95.20
>
> ..when it actually should list the arch in there as well without resorting
> to --qf tricks, which the average joe user certainly doesn't know about
> and wonders why he has two glibc's installed.

My general world view is that maybe we should dump the old standby for
pkg naevr display and go to something more realistic.

pkg with a zero epoch:
name-ver-rel.arch
pkg with a non-zero epoch:
epoch:name-ver-rel.arch