[Yum-devel] repoquery/yumquery/something

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Sep 9 14:10:50 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,
 Some discussion has popped up about having a command line tool that's
able to query the repodata just like rpm is able to query rpmdbs.

So a few thoughts on this:

1. I'm comfortable shipping a tool like this _in_ the yum package. If
people would rather have it separate I can understand that, too.

2. It might be handy to be able to read a yum.conf to get to the
repositories. Alternatively we could simply allow the path to the
repodata to be specified on the cli:

 repoquery --repodata=url://some/where/out/there ---repodata=url://some/
other/place/out/there

3. setting up a dict-like-object class to the packageObject class in
repomd shouldn't be much trouble and that could afford lots of
usefulness for mapping out strings like %(name)s

4. handling lists from the repomd shouldn't be too bad but we'll want to
make sure we have a good repr of them.